Thursday, May 17, 2012

A tough decision......


I haven't been using this blog for a long time since Facebook came along. Facebook has provided such a nice, easy, way to keep in touch with everyone, and update them on the day to day.

However, this blog is the place I went to while we were going through our scary time with Aiden, and it seems I'm pulled back here tonight to vent, share, and update. Here is our very first post when it all first began (in case you have met me after the fact). This post is followed up by many others. It's quite the saga.

As most know, we haven't ever really found out what happened to Aiden, or why the regression and delays came about. We've been doing what we know is best, and that is providing him the very best educational environment for him, along with an amazing speech therapist, and positive low pressure activities that he can enjoy.

While Aiden most definitely struggles in some areas, he amazes us each and every day with new vocabulary, interests, and even....attitude! :)

Aiden is such a friendly, outgoing kid, and we couldn't be prouder of him.

I definitely have some emotional issues that go back to when everything first began. Because what happened to him was overnight (literally), I wake up each morning still in sort of a panic until I hear Aiden speak. Once I hear those first few sweet words, I can move on with my day. We have a little morning ritual where I do not get out of bed until Aiden walks in and climbs on top of me and gives me the BIGGEST cuddliest hug ever and says "Good morning, I love you." ahhh. I let out a big exhale, and the day can move on.

Aiden gets assessed often at school and with his private speech therapist. We tend to look at the big picture, and that is, that only 3 short years ago, Aiden lost ALL his speech. He was starting from scratch, and in that time, has progressed to about a 5 1/2 year old's developmental level. This is simply AMAZING. He's working so hard. The problem is that he's 7 and about to end 1st grade. He's not yet reading more than one or two words at a time, and struggling with academics. In school, his behavior and social skills are TOP NOTCH, but he's just having a lot of trouble keeping up. Thankfully, Aiden goes to an amazing school (UCP), where his teachers recognize that he needs to learn in small groups. He gets overwhelmed and distracted in larger groups. Because Aiden isn't really officially "diagnosed", we are still trying to figure out if he has a learning disability or something else.

So, it's with a sad yet confident heart, that we have decided that we need to retain Aiden in first grade. As his teacher so eloquently put it, Aiden deserves the "gift of time". We are hoping and praying that an extra year, will give Aiden that chance to catch up, and build the confidence we know is in him.

We are so incredibly lucky to have Aiden surrounded by loving, supportive and caring teachers. His Kindermusik teacher, Anna, goes out of her way to make sure Aiden works at his pace, and isn't pressured to keep up. His coaches at gymnastics are so loving and gentle and take the time each and every week to talk to us about his progress. His speech therapist Jane, well, she is our angel. Aiden's teacher Ms. Casey who has been with Aiden 2 years already (and who says she's SO lucky to have him a 3rd year!) is just unbelievable. We can't feel luckier to have the support we have.

Aiden also has the most amazing big sister in the whole world. Anna is just amazing with Aiden, and even reads to him. It's simply magical to watch.

Of course I wish Aiden didn't have these struggles, but wow, he's surrounded by SO much love that it's hard to imagine there isn't a reason behind everything.

I feel I had to write this more for myself. To actually acknowledge in black and white that Aiden needs to be retained, and to know that it's okay. It will be okay.

*sigh* Thanks for reading.

Love, Holly

3 comments:

Sarah said...

This made me cry because it was so sweet. I love that Aiden has so much support. This means he'll be in Ben's class next year, which is exciting to me. I'm glad we'll have boys in the same class again. Aiden is SO lucky to have all this love and support.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grandma Sharon said...

Before this "episode", Aiden would run to be as I entered the house and say, "Hi Grandma, I love you". Of course, I would squeal in delight and give Aiden a big hug and kiss. After the "episode", Aiden would just stand there and look at me when I entered the house. I felt shattered, sad and really concerned. We have all learned to be patient and understanding these past 3 years while Aiden "recovered his speech" and returned somewhat to his outspoken, lovable self. I have never lost hope that he would be able to express himself again with some confidence. He is still a precious, loving, adorable little boy who I absolutely adore. Last night when I entered the room to attend Anna's choral performance, I heard a loud, familiar voice. It was my Aiden calling out, "Hi Grandma" from across the room. He is my Aiden, my precious Grandson and I love him so much. You made the right decision to retain him and I know that he will continue to grow and succeed.